Saturday, May 14, 2011

Some disassembly

It's Saturday May 14th. I have begun some initial disassembly. But first...
For those who do not know the whole story. Last summer I decided to try and build a Lotus 7 replica. To build a car from scratch has been a life long dream. So I sold a couple of hobbies and bought a frame:

And then collected various parts as I prepared the build. But then one day while surfing eBay lotus parts, I discovered a 1974 Elite for only around $1000!
As creepy as it looked, my desire to own a REAL Lotus overwhelmed my desire to build one. And so, after a serious bidding war between my bid and one other one, I was able to get it for only $1102. I was then able to sell my 7 project for $1100. Not too bad eh?, as long as you don't add in the costs to go and get this Elite.
You already saw the photos of it on the trailer. Here are some as it sits in my garage:

Up on jack stands, with bonnet removed and off to the side. Note that the nose now reads ELITE. The previous photo shows the E and the T missing. I was able to find those letters on eBay.
The right side of the engine showing the dual Stromburg carburators.
The left side of the dual overhead cam engine, 1973 cc. Note the cool LOTUS on the valve covers.
The rusty independent front suspension is going to take some work.
I finally got the driver's door to open and here is the squirrel eaten eaten interior. It's very complete, generally.
Soon Mr. Rust is going to meet Mr. Sandblaster. This was a birthday gift from my wonderful, supportive wife and two sons. My daughter Amy and husband Mark, is getting a cool Lotus wall clock. A picture of which will be here soon. I will build a cabinet in which I will be able to remove rust and corrosion from parts, etc.

At times I look at the car and wonder: "what have I gotten myself into?" But then again, others have done more with much less so I'll persevere on and do what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment